Massage therapy is often associated with relaxation. People who need and want to relax their body usually avail massage services. However, there is more to massage than just relaxation. Here are five (5) of the most remarkable benefits of massage therapy.
Therapeutic Health Benefits
Do you know that getting a massage can be therapeutic? Several studies confirm the power of the massage to help in the treatment of several health conditions, such as the following:
• Muscle ache and joint pain
• Stress and anxiety
• Fibromyalgia or FMS – according to the Mayo Clinic, this condition involves prevalent muscular and skeletal pain with fatigue, lack of sleep, memory problems, and mood disorders.
• Inability to sleep due to stress
• Nerve pain
• Myofascial pain syndrome – as defined by the WebMD, this is a condition where an individual suffers from long term muscle pain with trigger points occurring usually in fascia
• Sports injuries and strains
• Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain – TMJ is the joint surrounding your facial muscles specifically connecting your jaw to your head side. According to MedlinePlus, disorders of the TMJ can bring facial, jaw, and neck pain.
Strengthens Your Immune System
If you use massage therapy as part of your holistic approach to health and wellness, it can help boost your immune system. In 2010, the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine has published the results of a study confirming how massage can improve the condition and quality of the white blood cells in the body. These cells are integral to increase your immunity against diseases and infections.
Maintain Your Good Health Condition
Even if you are enjoying good health condition, you still need a regular massage therapy for maintenance, such as:
• To serve as your quick pain reliever
• To improve the flow of blood in your body systems
• To improve the mobility of your joint and prevent pain
• To prevent and reduce muscle tension
• To improve your emotional health and prevent mood disorders
• To boost your body’s natural defense against diseases and illnesses
Getting a good massage on a regular basis promotes overall health and wellness.
Relieves Cancer Patients of Many Symptoms
A study whose results saw print in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2008 shows how a massage therapy can help cancer patients go through their journey in dealing with their condition.
The massage can alleviate cancer patients of the various emotional and physical symptoms of cancer, such as the following:
• Inflammation and the buildup of excess fluid in the tissues
• Muscle spasms
• Emotional distress
Improves Life Condition of Autistic Children
The quality of life of autistic children becomes better if their treatment includes massage therapy. The main benefit of massage to kids with autism is deep relaxation.
A good massage calms and soothes an autistic child. The typically agitated kid becomes more composed and quiet. The deep relaxation allows the autistic child to:
• Increase focus
• Improve one’s energy levels
• Unleash creativity
• Improve sleep quality and quantity
• Stimulate critical thinking
• Lower blood pressure and slow down rapid pulse rate
• Stabilize the mood
Do you not find these benefits of massage therapy simply amazing?